Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quilty Goodness

I started one of my deranged Florida patchwork quilts sometime in 1991 (?) and used the patchwork part of it:
1. in a movie - it was part of an outdoor street market scene supposed to be somewhere in the Bahamas
2. as a duvet cover
3. as a wallhanging
In 2001 or 2002, I decided to make it into a quilt, so I replaced the duvet backing and added a layer of batting and pinned it. And there it sat for a few years. So by 2005 I realized I was never going to get around to doing the quilting part myself, so I sent it off to a professional quilter with one of those big fancy quilting machines and had her quilt it.
Like an idiot, I didn't want to pay for her to bind it because I kept thinking "Oh, that's the easy part! I'll do that myself!" Well, when she mailed it back to me I put it in a plastic bin and forgot about it. Well, not exactly. Every time I went by that bin I looked at it and thought, I'll get to that next week/month...
Last week I got it out and FINALLY FINALLY sewed the binding on to it.












Of course, I cannot sew a straight line to save my life, so I sewed the binding on with a compendium of wavy and most crooked lines.












Then I added threads of differing colors to the mix:


Is it the best quilt I have ever made? No. Is it finished? Why, YES!!!

No comments: